Visa and entry

Visa procedures for international students

International students from other countries must apply for a visa before entering the country. To do so, please contact the deutsche Auslandsvertretung in Ihrem Heimatland and apply for a student visa or a study applicant visa. If you already have a written commitment from a university for study preparatory measures or a study place, you can apply for a student visa. Anyone who still has to wait for admission or to take an entrance examination must apply for a study applicant visa. In Germany, you have to submit your visa to the immigration office at the place of study, which converts it into a residence permit for studying.

It often takes several months for a visa to be issued. Therefore, it is important to apply for a student visa at an early stage, which allows you to enter in time for the start of the studies. One should not wait for the confirmation of the study place, since the admission permits in Germany arrive quite late. It is better to apply for a candidate visa with the applicant’s confirmation of the applicant’s application and to convert it into a residence permit in Germany.

Necessary documents for the visa application

The best way to get information is on the Website des Auswärtigen Amtes or directly at the deutschen Auslandsvertretung im Heimatland, but the following documents are usually required:

  • valid passport
  • the applicant’s confirmation from the university (student’s application visa) or the admission certificate of the university (student visa)
  • proof of sufficient financial resources for life support (proof of financing)
  • a health insurance  Krankenversicherungsschutz

–> Krankenversicherungsschutz

Proof of financial resources

With proof of funding, you can prove that you can pay for your studies. At least the cost of living for the first year in Germany must be fully financed. As a rule, 8,640 euros are required for income or assets for the first year, 720 euros per month. However, higher proofs may also be required. At the deutschen Vertretung im Heimatland one learns, in which form one must furnish the proof. Basically the following forms are possible:

  • parents’ income and assets
  • person domiciled in Germany undertakes to take over the foreigner’s office to cover the costs for you
  • a security deposit is paid to a blocked account
  • you will receive a scholarship from a recognized scholarship holder
  • you will receive funding in accordance with the German Federal Education Promotion Act (BAföG).

KS++ offers foreign study applicants the intensive German courses and a formal registration certificate with which they can apply for visa applications.

KS++ Participants who meet the general university entrance qualification of the University of Duisburg Essen also receive the student card from the Essen-Duisburg-University, which allows them to get preferential conditions in Germany.


Scroll to Top